04 February 2008

It never ends...

Paperwork is insane! I mean, I understand it's pretty much a fact of life, but it just consumes so much of my life right now I'm beginning to go insane. Maybe I just need to watch Brazil to feel better about it all. But, I am done with my FAFSA, CSS/PROFILE, Oregon State Application, OSU Honors College Application, and now all I have left is my Purdue application. Definitely feeling a lot less stressed right now... So, now I just get to wait until the end of March. This is going to be agonizing...

Oh man, Extemp is coming up! In FFA, we have a contest, Extemporaneous Public Speaking, and it's probably the most intense thing ever. Okay, I'm pretty sure climbing Everest or something is far more intense, but this event is pretty amazing. You have 30 topics to randomly draw from, and once you draw at the contest, you have half an hour to write and partially memorize a speech on that topic. You don't have to give the judges the manuscript, but you do have to deliver the speech to them and then answer five minutes of questions. I told you it was intense. You get a huge adrenaline rush from it, too. Some kids shoplift for a rush, I give speeches. Anyways, all the topics relate to agriculture in some capacity and I'm busy researching them before our Sectional level contest at the end of the month (Yea for moving past Districts when you least expect it!). And because I'm convinced that if I just know the topics well enough, I'll be considerably more confident, I'm going to be posting little blurbs about some of the topics in the coming weeks. You'll learn cool stuff, I'll remember the cool stuff. It's a win-win situation. So, be prepared kiddies.

But, now I'm going to write a little about one of our Parli Pro topics...
School gardens are something on the list this year, and I find it to be very interesting that this came up. Apparently, some schools in larger cities are starting these gardens to teach kids about ag and science and other topics. Overall, I think it's a good idea, but sometimes a little difficult for some FFA chapters. Smaller chapters, or chapters that focus on other areas like ag mechanics are probably going to have a more difficult time starting a garden. Although, if they already have a greenhouse program, they could definitely expand that operation to include food production. Supposedly, the gardens could be contributing fresh vegetables to the school lunch program. I don't know about other schools, but I know for a fact our school would probably not be too interested - I don't think anything is "fresh" in our lunches... Interesting proposition, though!

No comments: