18 June 2009

Why I Shouldn't Watch Music Videos Late at Night

Here's some unnecessary commentary on music videos I've seen late at night on VH1, VH1 Classic, Fuse, and MTV/2. Basically, I change the channel a lot, which is why there aren't any rap songs reviewed. And I also watch a lot of videos, which is why I just narrowed it down to the seven that were most interesting. I also was fairly concerned about avoiding the ridiculous number of Proactiv commercials, especially the ones featuring Jessica Simpson. I would just like to point out that some of this is not the music I usually listen to. I promise. If there were a TV channel that showed nothing but Decemberists, Spoon, Pixies, Mando Diao, and Franz Ferdinand videos all the time, I would so be there.


Billy Boy on Poison - "On My Way": This video actually makes no sense. Why would you play to an empty stadium? As a publicity stunt? Because the only people who are going to hear about it are the cops. As evidenced by them chasing you, instead of adoring fans. Despite the fact that this video was a little absurd, I like the song, but sometimes I'm a total sucker for rock 'n roll. [MTV2]

Franz Ferdinand - "No You Girls" (Embedding has been disabled): What? I don't get it. Did I miss something? You guys are virtually on my list of bands that can do no wrong (your debut album was flawless and is one of my all-time favorites), and this video isn't that bad (it's helped by lots of shots of Alex Kapranos), but you could have [done] it so much better... Sorry for the play on your album/song title. [MTV2]


All American Rejects - "The Wind Blows": The whole playing-the-music-in-the-ocean thing has been done... see Augustana's video for that one song where he whines about going to Boston a lot... [VH1]

The Pixies - "Here Comes Your Man (Live)"*: Thanks for making me want to see the Pixies live, now. Just not in such a large venue. If there are video screens showing just Frank Black's hand strumming the guitar, there's a problem. Also, Kim Deal looked like she really didn't want to be there. [VH1 Classic]
*Unfortunately, I can't find the one I originally saw... Sorry...

Mando Diao - "Dance With Somebody"
(Embedding has been disabled): Can you fall in love with my favorite song? It's good to see that these Swedes are back with new music. [MTV2]


Taking Back Sunday - "Sink Into Me": I don't really know what you were getting at - it just looks like you all wanted to just make a mess with black paint. And the shots of you with the crowd came off as a little arrogant; was it necessary to remind us that you apparently have fans? [MTV2]


The Airborne Toxic Event - "Sometime Around Midnight": Wait, MTV is playing a rock song? It's not rap? The world is ending, ladies and gentleman. Anyway, the video's not bad, just a wee bit angsty. [MTV]

Sidenote to the record labels that disabled embedding on YouTube: what were you thinking? Not a smart move... Just sayin'...

No comments: