24 June 2009

No One Ever Said I Lacked Ambition

Summer plans recently fell through (I was supposed to take a physics class at UC Berkeley, but things just didn't work out), so I found myself with about eleven weeks of nothingness.

Well, they're no longer weeks of nothingness. I plan on filling them with working for my dad's aircraft parts business, seeing friends, and reading. Lots and lots of reading. Rather than listing all the books I aim to plow through in the coming months, I'll just show them to you.

The two upright books on the right are the only two I've made it through so far. Clearly, I have a lot of work ahead of me.

Many of the books I'm part way through (one's a book I started for my high school senior English class and I never finished it), and there are only two that I haven't started yet (Naked Lunch and The Sound and the Fury). The book I'll be concentrating on most, however, is that behemoth on the bottom: Infinite Jest.

I've been interested in reading Infinite Jest for quite a while now, but for one reason or another I just haven't picked it up. And then I heard about Infinite Summer. Essentially, everyone participating in Infinite Summer is reading David Foster Wallace's massive tome from June 21st to September 22nd. It's really informal, you can read as fast as you want, and essentially there are no rules. Online there are forums and blogs from readers. Naturally, I can't pass this up, and it's motivation to actually sit down and read Infinite Jest. If this is something that's been on your to do list as well, I highly recommend participating - it's not too late!

No comments: