28 March 2009

Saving a Landmark

So, this was obviously taken around Christmas-time, hence the red nose, but you get the idea...

For the first time in my life, I think I am okay with an instance where the government would use eminent domain. Most of the time, I'm not the biggest fan of governments using eminent domain because oftentimes they don't exactly put the land to good use, or are just generally incompetent.

But for once, I think it's a brilliant idea. The property to be claimed? The Made In Oregon sign in Portland. This sign has a long history, and is a landmark on the city skyline. The problem? The University of Oregon wants it to say their name instead. The solution? The city of Portland is considering using eminent domain to claim ownership of the sign.

The sign has had its share of facelifts over the years. The sign originally read "White Satin" in honor of the building's sugar-producing tenants. It was later changed to read "White Stag" after the new occupants, a clothing company. Twelve years ago, the sign was updated to the current "Made In Oregon". The sign has become an integral part of Portland (and Oregon) culture, and the threat of change has angered a lot of people around the city.

I will say right now, that if they change it, I'm going to be pissed. U of O, I'm not just saying this because I'm a Beavers fan. Seriously, just respect the tradition.

Related Articles:

City might just declare eminent domain on the 'Made in Oregon' sign

Oh, deer. 'Made in Oregon' on its way out in Old Town

No comments: